[Zope-dev] Deprecating XML export/import?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Mar 25 02:35:47 EST 2006

--On 24. März 2006 21:05:12 +0100 Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
wrote:

>> I propose to deprecate XML export/import for Zope 2.10 and to remove it
>> in  Zope 2.12.
>
> What will remain of Zope in the longer run?

The good things that work :-)

In the past with every major release some problems with old and scary
components came up. In this situation you have basically three options:

  - ignore such problems

  - fix the code

  - rewrite the code

I  have a bad feeling (as release manager) about ignoring problems and
releasing stuff. Fixing and rewriting code often requires a deep
understanding of the concepts, the implementation especially if there is no
documentation and no tests. In many cases Jim is the original author or
knows at least of the concepts since many of the original Zope developers
are no longer with ZC or even part of the Zope community. So as a
consequence in the long term we should get rid of stuff that is either
broken or considered obsolete by the majority of the developers and for the
majority of the developers. Figuring out what the majority is in a
particular case is of course always a problem....

Returning with the discussion to ZClasses (also off-topic in this
XML export/import thread): they blocked the 2.8.0 release for a long time.
If there is an unimportant second-class or third-class component of Zope
blocking a major release in the future than it should be subject to be
deprecated (or even removed if necessary).

Andreas

   -   Andreas Jung            ZOPYX Ltd. & Co KG                        -
  -   E-mail: info at zopyx.com   Web: www.zopyx.com, www.zopyx.de         -