XML export/import is cool! (Was Re: [Zope-dev] Deprecating XML export/import?)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Mar 25 09:56:29 EST 2006

--On 24. März 2006 11:07:06 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

>> - it was broken multiple times in the past, it still has problems
>
> How so?

The import functionality seem to be broken since at least Zope 2.7.

I created a DTML method exported it and _tried_ to reimport it.

Zope 2.7 throws a BadPickleGet, 12 exception, Zope 2.8 throws
BadPickleGet, 13 and Zope 2.9 raises the described UnicodeDecodeError.
I don't expect that the import functionality works for even more complex
objects. So I consider the whole functionality as totally broken. The
generated XML might be useful to perform any processing outside Zope but
using it for re-importing it into another Zope systems definitely does
_not_  work. So if the functionality should remain in Zope then it should
be fixed
for Zope 2.10 lately.

Andreas