[Zope-dev] Zope 3 ZPTs in Zope 2: Nearly done

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun May 21 21:36:59 EDT 2006

Hi,

as some of you might have seen from the checkins, I'm trying to complete
Andreas's work of bringing the Zope 3 ZPT engine to Zope 2.

Andreas has done a great job dealing with the very non-trivial unicode
and persistency-compabitibility issues already. I've taken over since to
fix up Five accordingly (which is basically done) and make everything
else work again (also nearly done). Hanno Schlichting from the Plone
crowd has helped me a lot there by running 3rd party software like the
CMF (which uses the PageTemplate implementation for filesystem-based
templates) against our branch and pointing out backward compatibility
issues (which could be fixed with his help).

So far it's looking good. There are many subtle differences between the
two implementations that make progress slow. Right now I've hit three
minor problems (I'm sure there are more, but this is what I have on my
plate right for now) regarding some incompatibilities between the Zope 2
and Zope 3 implementations. I've sketched out the problems next to their
corresponding (failing) unit tests (look for the XXX comments):

http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/ajung-zpt-end-game/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/tests/testDTMLTests.py?rev=68229&view=auto
http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/ajung-zpt-end-game/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/tests/testHTMLTests.py?rev=68230&view=log

All three require some effort in order to provide full backward
compatibility. Thus I thought I run these by you, let you read what I
think about them and hopefully get some feedback on how to proceed.

Silence is treated as consent with what I propose in the comments.

Philipp

P.S.: For those of you who want to try this out or help, check out the
'ajung-zpt-end-game' branch of Zope 2 (which will automatically pull the
corresponding Five branch as well).