[Zope-dev] Re: 2.10 branch and trunk

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue May 30 13:25:06 EDT 2006

Hi!

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 30. Mai 2006 10:17:08 +0200 Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>>
>> I plan to create a branch for Zope 2.10 after 2.10beta 2 or short before
>> the 2.10 final release. This means that the Zope trunk should only be
>> used for bugfixes *only* until the branch is cut. So no new development
>> and feature should happen on the trunk until then..Use your own branch
>> until the trunk is open for new stuff to appear in Zope 2.11.
>>

> As Tres pointed out we do have a policy for branching so the 2.10 has
> been created. Feel free to mess up the trunk :-)
>
> <http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/2.10/>

Who made up that policy? And why?

I don't think it's a good policy. It is very unlikely that people want
to mess up the trunk right after the first beta. I'd prefer a policy
like that::

  After the first beta of the new feature release is made, we
  create a new branch for that feature release as soon as necessary
  (rooted at the trunk right before the first non-bugfix checked in).

Cheers,

	Yuppie