[Zope-dev] Windows Installer Nice-to-have

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 05:29:01 EST 2006

Hi Sidnei,

I don't know how easy this is to do, but one thing that would be
_really_ nice would be to use an existing compatible python install
rather than Zope splatting it's own in regardless.

In fact, if we're re-doing the layout (which is, I think, a VERY good
idea) my ideal layout would be:

C:\Python24
C:\Zope\2.10.0 (NB: C:\Zope\2.10.0\Zope would NOT exist)
C:\Zope\instance

With C:\Python24 either being an existing Python install, if selected by
the user, or being created in the same way as the normal Python
installer does if its not there.

Of course, if this option is implemented, you'd need to be able to
specify where python gets put in case you don't want to overwrite an
existing "normal" Python 2.4 install. I don't know what make a "Zope"
python install "special"...

What do other people think about this?

cheers,

Chris