[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.10.0 installer for Windows

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Oct 19 14:20:58 EDT 2006

--On 19. Oktober 2006 15:03:43 -0300 Sidnei da Silva
<sidnei at enfoldsystems.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:43:22PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
>| Most of the active Zope developers do *not* run Zope on Windows, which
>| is why there are no Windows binaries for recent Zope versions.  We do
>| have plenty of "real world" experience with running Zope on Linux, Mac,
>| and other Unixoid systems.
>
> That's does *not* mean that *no one* runs Zope on Windows. At Enfold
> Systems we run several different versions of Zope on Windows on a
> daily basis.
>
> It would be more correct to say that no one runs *in development*
> versions of Zope on Windows, as opposed to binary builds. That's
> mainly because one needs MSVC to compile the extensions and few people
> have access to MSVC and knowledge to do that.
>
> And to top it, we have "real world" experience with running Zope on
> Windows and using several key components of the Windows platform to
> enhance Zope, like Active Directory, NTLM, IFilter, ADO and a couple
> more.
>
> I really hope to fix this image that Zope is a second/third-class
> citizen when it comes to Windows. That is certainly not the case these
> days, but yet it's common to see people making it look like.

The company I am mainly working for uses Zope as platform for desktop
products. This means every customer has a running Zope server on Windows.
We are talking of more 100k client-side installations so there are likely
much more Zope users on Windows than on Linux :-)

-aj