[Zope-dev] Serving large files

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Sep 17 16:15:21 EDT 2006

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 09:24:40PM +0200, Christian Theune wrote:
> | I wonder whether this statement is true:
> |
> |    Any connection handed out after the connection breaks the ACID
> |    compliance of the request.
> |
> | I think this is because:
> |
> |    When finishing the actual work we have to either commit or abort the
> |    running transaction.
> |
> |    In the time until we set up another transaction, there already might
> |    have been a change to the database by a third transaction, making the
> |    request neither isolated nor atomic.
>
> Suppose the request finishes with 'tid=X' and that it should be
> possible to open a read-only connection which would be a snaphsot of
> the database at 'tid=X'?

Jup. That's what I was thinking about. But what then. Then you end up
again with "application code" that needs to do work. (In the iterator.)

The thing about the iterator is that currently (I think) it is assumed
that all resources are cleaned up by GC.

If you do this however, I suspect you have to do work to get rid of the
resources you allocated (a transaction, a connection, ...)

Christian