[Zope-dev] Distributed Object Use Case for Zope 3 developers.

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Thu Sep 28 11:26:02 EDT 2006

Martijn Faasen makes the point that it is important for the Zope 3
developers to have good use cases.

So here we go.  Here is my distributed Object use case for Zope 3
developers.  Can I do this in Zope 3?

I run a job board for each technology.  I have one job board for
zope/plone developers, and another one for Linux System Administrators.
Right now I have quite low traffic, and I run all my job boards off of
one zope instance.  But if this should ever be a hit, I can imagine
running one zope instance per job board, or even multiple zope instances
for one job board using zeo on its own server.  The available
parallelism is quite strong in Zope 2.

Now here is the problem.  Say one of you is both a Linux Admin and a
Zope/Plone developer.  Right now you would have to post your resume
twice on two different job boards.  If you changed your resume, you
would have to change it in two different servers.  Sometime soon, I hope
that you will be able to just apply once.  You would fill out the Zope
skills question box, and the Linux Administrator skills question box,
and the server will automagically create copies of your record on both
job boards.  If those are on separate servers, then that is a
distributed migration of objects.  When you return to edit your data and
update your resume, that information needs to be propogated to the other
job board on the other server as well.

I hope that is a helpful use case for the Zope 3 developers.   Of course
maybe things are done totally differently in Zope 3 than in Zope 2.

Here is another distributed use case, which I do admit is more speculative.

Performance reasons might encourage me to have one server in the US, and
one in India. Reportedly Google localization takes into account where
the server is located.  So if I want to compete globally in the US and
India, I would want my Indian candidate objects to migrate to my Indian
server, and my US candidate objects to migrate to my US server.

I think I could do this with ZClasses.  Can I do it with Zope 3?

I hope that helps.
Chris