[Zope-dev] ZClasses Maintenance and Upgrade

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Tue Apr 17 07:24:40 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Lozinski" <lozinski at freerecruiting.com>
To: <zope-dev at zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:21 AM
Subject: [Zope-dev] ZClasses Maintenance and Upgrade

> Well I have finally reached the stage where I am pushing the limits of
> ZClasses and would love an upgrade.  Guess I need to do it myself.
>
> I run 38 specialty job boards, and am getting close to automatically
> putting up 300 more, each one has a custom ZClass.
>
> I am automatically generating ZClasses, Indexes, and Formulator Form's
> Fields.   I don't like that each parent class lists its legal children, I
> think it would be better if the child listed the legal parents.  The
> creation of an add permission for each of the 300 ZClasses I am about to
> generate also bothers me.

You may want to rethink your approach before you launch 300 new job boards
based on ZClasses; as of Zope 2.10.x ZClasses are officially deprecated (see
http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.3/CHANGES.txt).

I know this is a serious PITA... I just spent 3 months replacing ZClasses
with a custom product in a client's web site because they did not want to
get stuck in an old version of Zope.

If long term maintainability is of interest then you may want to consider
something other than ZClasses.

Jonathan