[Zope-dev] Re: ZClassNG proposal makes Archetypes Easy.

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Apr 23 07:11:41 EDT 2007

Andreas Jung-5 wrote:

>> Okay. Let me rephrase. Most people don't find it painful, and a huge
>> number of developers are being very productive with Archetypes. I know
>> you hate it Chris, but you are in the minority.
>>

> I have to second that. The latest versions of AT are pretty much stable
> and
> usable. AT is no longer the PITA framework it was some years ago - as long
> as you don't look under the hood and as long as you don't try to be
> tricky.
> AT works fine if you use it the 'standard' way - however it slaps you when
> you're trying to be smarter than AT.
>
> Using Z3-schemas + formlib is definitely the preferred way to go. We got a
> basic content-type working for a customer based on z3-schema/formlib
> within
> half a day (without having any knowledge in Z3 schemas and formlib).

Eventually, I expect that a Z3 schema/formlib based approach an Archetypes
will converge; for the moment, most people will still be way more productive
with straight Archetypes in Plone, because things like references, WYSIWYG
editors and transformations are not yet as mature outside of Archetypes. For
simple things, I've had some success wtih plone.app.content in Plone 3.

Martin