[Zope-dev] Request typing (to get the xmlrpc layer discussion finished)

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:20:27 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 8:22 AM, Christian Zagrodnick <cz at gocept.com> wrote:
> There are different kinds of request (BrowserRequest, XMLRPCRequest,
> FTPRequest, …) which depend on the "channel" or server zope is accessed
> through.

We have this use case:

The server is accessed through a number of different channels, each
associated with some URL re-writing.  This includes in most cases a
++skin++<name> path element, often with additional path elements.  The
skin used is associated with the channel.

We have a couple of different cases where there are XML-RPC methdods
that should be associated with the channel as well.  Using anything
other than ++skin++ seems like silliness in this case: we need
something that can associate the request with a channel, regardless of
the type of the request (XML-RPC, browser, etc.).

We don't care that ++skin++ is the name of the request-typing path
element, but we do want a single path element that can mark the
request regardless of the request type.  Preferably without
re-architecting our applications.

  -Fred