[Zope-dev] Re: Interest in "AdvancedQuery" and/or "ManagableIndex"?

yuppie y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de
Sat Feb 3 05:44:20 EST 2007

Hi Dieter!

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Whit ("mailto:d.w.morriss at gmail.com") reported that "AdvancedQuery"
> is going to ship with Plone3 and that packaging would be easier for them if
> "AdvancedQuery" were part of the Zope 2 distribution.
> According to Whit, Alexander Limi seems to be interested to have
> "Managable Index" in the Zope 2 distribution, as well.
>
> I have no problems to donate "AdvancedQuery" and/or "Managable Index"
> to the Zope Foundation *BUT* I will not modify the code to bring
> it in line with the different style requirements usually applied
> to Zope components: e.g.
>
>   * my code uses 2 blank indentation rather than the usual 4 blank
>     (to make it more readable and easier to maintain for me)
>
>   * I much prefer unit tests over doctests; thus, "AdvancedQuery"
>     and "Managable Index" come with extensive unit tests and no
>     doctests
>
>   * I use camel case also for parameters and local variables
>     and not only for functions and "global" objects.
>

> Is there interest in "AdvancedQuery" and/or "Managable Index"
> to become part of the Zope 2 distribution under these conditions?

These seem to be mature products with a lot of valuable code and
documentation. I think the Zope Foundation should count itself lucky to
get a donation like that.

Unfortunately integrating a product into the Zope core means more than
just adjusting the coding style:

- As already mentioned in this thread, monkey patches and code like
fixPluginIndexes.py have to be resolved. AdvancedQuery contains a monkey
patch for CMF - that should not be shipped with Zope core.

- "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do
it." Do we really need two different query methods in the catalog? Two
different FieldIndexes, KeywordIndexes and PathIndexes in the core? Or
is there a way to merge them or to deprecate one?

- ManagableIndex seems to resolve some cataloging issues in the Zope 2
TTW way that are resolved in Zope 3 using adapters. Isn't that a step in
the wrong direction?

- Should we add new products to the core? I thought we want to move away
from products and use python packages instead. The AdvancedQuery code
might become part of the ZCatalog package, ManagableIndex might be
converted to a non-products package.

Of course this is just my opinion. These are no official rules.

Cheers,

	Yuppie