[Zope-dev] Re: Interest in "AdvancedQuery" and/or "ManagableIndex"?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Feb 3 13:37:25 EST 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>> Whit ("mailto:d.w.morriss at gmail.com") reported that "AdvancedQuery"
>>> is going to ship with Plone3 and that packaging would be easier for
>>> them if
>>> "AdvancedQuery" were part of the Zope 2 distribution.
>>
>> I fail to find an explanation *why* that is.
>
> I'm not quite sure it has to be part of Zope 2 as you install it. Having
> it in svn.zope.org would go a long, way, though, allowing us to use
> svn:externals during development and potentially fix issues ourselves as
> appropriate.

Well, ok, I have nothing against that. It's just that that wasn't
mentioned anywhere.

>> * Plone is shipping with lots of products already, I don't see why it
>> simply can't ship with another one. Seriously, why? Plus, if they're
>> really trying to solve problems for Plone 3, then it seems to be too
>> late already. The target platform, Zope 2.10, is feature-frozen since
>> long.
>
> We will ship with this. I think the original point that made us nervous
> is having to get tarballs from dieter.handshake.de, and not having a
> access to a repository.
>
> Whether it ships with Zope or not will probably depend on how valuable
> people find it. I've not used it myself, but it sounds like it makes the
> catalog a bit more powerful and usable.

Well, the Zope 3 catalog is pretty much useless w/o any extra packages
either. But at this point it has become almost trivial to install the
necessary packages such as zc.catalog into your instance (using
easy_install or zc.buildout).

>> It might not be a popular opinion in Zope 2 land where people would
>> like to have as much working out of the box as possible, but I think
>> we oughta think about making Zope 2 rather smaller than bigger (where
>> "smaller" doesn't mean "ship with less stuff" but "have fewer
>> inter-dependencies" so that it's better reusable). An Egg-based
>> deployment mechanism with explicitly defined dependencies will allow
>> us to do so.
>
> I completely agree with this. On the other hand, as Andreas points out,
> if we are monkey patching ZCatalog to address deficiencies, then there
> may be reasons for tighter integration.

Sure. Perhaps we can look at those deficiencies and sort those out first.

> I think the first step is to move it to the repository and let the
> community prod it a little.

I'll be absolutely fine with that.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5