[Zope-dev] Re: RFC: Eggifying Zope's extension mechanism ("Products")

Daniel Nouri daniel at infrae.com
Wed Jan 24 05:46:04 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> For their upcoming versions, Zope 2 consuming platforms such as Plone
> are creating standard Zope3-style Python packages while still having
> Zope 2 products around.  This proposal aims at unifying the deployment
> of products and Python packages into a Zope 2 instance alike by using
> Python eggs and their entry point system.
>
> See
> http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/EggifyingZopesExtensionMechanismQuotProductsQuot
> for the full proposal. Comments are appreciated. I plan on implementing
> it at the Camp5 BBQ sprint (http://www.openplans.org/projects/bbq-sprint)

Sounds very good to me.  However, I guess the biggest bulk of the work
will be to make the existing Products out there eggs, which is quite a
tedious task.

A bit off topic: What about entry points for Zope 3 packages for their
ZCML?  Right now, when I easy_install a Zope 3 package, I still need to
set up the ZCML by hand.  I'm not sure that this is a sensible default.

Daniel