[Zope-dev] shipping with standard docutils

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Jun 7 02:45:20 EDT 2007

--On 6. Juni 2007 18:01:27 +0200 Philipp von Weitershausen
<philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:

> At the PIKTipi sprint this past weekend, Andi Zeidler, Andreas Jung and I
> worked on integrating ZODB 3.8 and Zope 3.4 into the Zope 2 trunk. Zope
> 3.4 has actually "exploded" into many eggs that are now independently
> managed and released. I therefore looked into a way to make Zope 2
> dependent on these eggs instead of shipping with its own copies of the
> packages. There are clear benefits to that:

First, eggs are cool and the ongoing eggification is a good thing. However
making such major changes for the next release I would like to discuss a
few things or get answers.

What will be the impacts on the source code distribution? How would you
install "Zope from the sources" (especially if we don't include the
3rd-party eggs like docutils)?

Working with eggs in a Zope environment requires that the eggs must be
installed isolated within the softwarehome. We can't install Zope eggs
within the Python environment (because it causes already a bunch of pain
right now). Something like a buildout or workingenv environment would be
necessary....also with a Zope-local installation of
setuptools/easy_install!?

Do we really want to encourage the end-user to update parts of the Zope
core or the 3rd-party packages individually? I am skeptical about this
because we always shipped Zope as a collection of tested and trusted
components. Of course you could also updated package in the past manually
however by using eggs we are lowering the barrier for a end-user to mess up
his system. However I always see the advantages of the approach to bring
updated or fixed packages much easier to the Zope user.

Before stepping forward with your work (on the Zope trunk) I would like to
get the "big picture" first.

Andreas