[Zope-dev] Re: Zope on Python 2.5?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Nov 1 01:28:18 EDT 2007

--On 31. Oktober 2007 22:00:46 -0700 Alexander Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:29:36 -0700, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>
>> The recommendation is still "System python is evil, evil, evil" (quoting
>> Jim).
>
> Sure, but if you ever want to be able to tell users to do:
>
> easy_install plone

One other point: "easy_install plone" make only sense if the underlying
machinery generates an isolated environment for your Plone instance. You
really don't want to mess up your system python with a hundred Zope or
Plone eggs. This is definitely the road to disaster. On distributions that
depends on Python for their internal processing/administration (I think
Fedora does) you might break the functionality of your system installation
significantly in case of broken or misbehaving eggs. So we must be careful
about the story
we're telling the users. The obviously easiest way is possibly not the best
way (in the long term).

Andreas