[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: zope.component/trunk/ Optimized un/registerUtility via storing an optimized data structure for

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 1 10:59:20 EDT 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>>> Log message for revision 81348:
>>>   Optimized un/registerUtility via storing an optimized data structure
>>> for
>>>   efficient retrieval of already registered utilities. This avoids
>>> looping over
>>>   all utilities when registering a new one.
>> You are changing what looks like persistent datastructures. Are you sure
>> this doesn't introduce backwards compatibility issues?
>
> Sorry, you are right. I changed it to only optimize non-persistent
> registries and fall back on the algorithm which doesn't need an
> optimized new data structure as before.

Does it still install the optimized datastructure if you create a new
persistent registry?

>> I also question naming the next release 3.4.1. This is not a bugfix. I
>> think it should come in as 3.5.
>
> I'm not sure what criteria determine if something is a feature change
> and what is not, so I changed the next version on trunk to 3.5.

I think the criteria should be very simple: if it's a bugfix, you can
release a bugfix release. If it's anything else, make it a feature
release. Optimization is a feature, not a bugfix.

The combination here would've been particularly bad: people innocently
try version 3.4.1 and suddenly find their ZODB is broken. :)

Note that I'm actually quite excited to see optimization work - this is
why I paid particular attention to your checkin at all. Thanks for
looking into this stuff!

Regards,

Martijn