[Zope-dev] Re: [Checkins] SVN: zope.file/trunk/ Make a good package out of this package.

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Nov 2 11:12:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 02.11.2007, 10:53 -0400 schrieb Stephan Richter:
> I only know of the general problem and not the specific one. Let's say you
> have a package A with extras AE1 and AE2. Then you really have to write tests
> for three installation cases: A, A with AE1, A with AE2. Currently we do not
> have technology doing this. It gets even worse when you bring another package
> into play. Let's say you have package B with extras BE1 and BE2 that depends
> on package A. You now have to test (B, A), (B, A with AE1), (B, A with AE2),
> (B with BE1, A), ... So the test scenarios multiply. It is just unmanageable.
> To put the final nail in the coffin, extras are not even fully supported by
> setuptools.

I do understand the `test extra` is a deviation from `test what you fly,
fly what you test`. Which means that the `anti-extras` argument would
require us to provide one package with the `pure tests` and put
integration tests into another package, carefully selecting which
combinations we want that demonstrate support for interoperability.

> Overall I am in favor in switching to 'test_require'.

Me too, although I see the point as stated above which is a counter
argument. I'm somewhat indecisive right now, but I think that using
test_require is better for the current situation than staying with the
bad dependency mixture. Maybe some `test-only` integration packages
would be nice, but I don't see anybody do the work.

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany