[Zope-dev] Re: buildout "tests_require" analogue

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Nov 15 11:05:14 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Grrrrr. I find "setup.py test" to be really annoying as it requires
>> meta data that is available only to that command.
>
> Not after running 'egg_info', or any other setuptools-aware command;
> the tests_require dependencies then become introspectable.  E.g.:
>
>  $ svn co $ZSVN/zope.tal/trunk zope.tal-trunk
>  $ cd zope.tal-trunk
>  $ /path/to/setuptools-aware/python setup.py egg_info
>  $ cat src/zope.tal-egg-info/requires.txt
>  setuptools
>  zope.i18nmessageid
>  zope.interface
>
>  [test]
>  zope.testing

None of these is tests_require.  The above lists the contents of
install_requires and the test extra.  zope.tal is odd because it
lists the same values in tests_require and install requires.  Try
putting something else in tests_require and see if you see it show up.

I know that the contents of tests_require isn't saved because I
*tried* to get buildout to use it and asked about it on the distutils
sig:

   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-January/
007083.html

Of course, something could have changed since then, but I doubt it.

>> Ideally, buildout (really the testrunner recipe) should be able to
>> honor tests_require, but setuptools doesn't make this information
>> available to any other packages. :( (big frowny)  Also, I believe
>> that more is required to get "setup.py test" to work.  I'm unsure
>> what the details are.
>
> See above.  If buildout can trigger creation of the egg-info
> directory,
> all should be well.  In fact, that directory will already be
> present in
> any source distribution built with setuptools.

Again, I believe you are mistaken.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton