[Zope-dev] Re: Zope without Zope

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Nov 17 13:52:19 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
> In any case, I definitely see a case for both. I can't see a good
> reason why we can't have support for simple XML-based component
> registration without having to depend on the ZODB and tons of other
> Zope eggs.

You're right. We can. Someone will have to write that.  I suspect that
starting from the current zcml support, all that's necessary is to
strip out permission support.

> I understand the historical reasons behind these dependencies, but I
> genuinely think we should pick a few libraries that are "useful" to
> the outside world (zope.interface, zope.component,
> zope.configuration, zope.annotation, zope.event come to mind) and
> work to make these have "clean" dependencies.

Most or all of the ones you mention already do.  zope.component's
dependencies are clean as long as you don't try to use the zcml
support. zope.annotation is the only one I'm not sure about but I bet
it's dependencies are modest.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton