[Zope-dev] zeo on solaris

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Oct 8 15:00:31 EDT 2007

Jodok Batlogg wrote at 2007-10-8 08:48 +0200:
>do you know about the performance? if you compare a modern, fast
>linux server - connected to the SAN as well?
>i think the solaris machine will perform well if you need to run
>multiple ZEOs...

I had compared packing on our previous generation SUN cluster
with packing on a Linux server. The Linux server was about 4 times
faster.

But our system administrators have a very strong preference for
SUN hardware. They told me that SUN has a much better IO subsystem
and that this will become obvious when the system is under load.

My personal opinion is that they can buy SUN support such that
within a few hours all problems will be fixed by SUN while for Linux
they can not get this level of support -- and therefore they prefer
SUN. But, that's just my assumption (I do not have a proof).

--
Dieter