[Zope-dev] zeo on solaris

Jodok Batlogg jodok at lovelysystems.com
Mon Oct 8 15:16:02 EDT 2007

On 08.10.2007, at 21:00, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Jodok Batlogg wrote at 2007-10-8 08:48 +0200:
>> do you know about the performance? if you compare a modern, fast
>> linux server - connected to the SAN as well?
>> i think the solaris machine will perform well if you need to run
>> multiple ZEOs...
>
> I had compared packing on our previous generation SUN cluster
> with packing on a Linux server. The Linux server was about 4 times
> faster.
>
> But our system administrators have a very strong preference for
> SUN hardware. They told me that SUN has a much better IO subsystem
> and that this will become obvious when the system is under load.

that's what we've been told as well. especially because all
applications on the server are I/O bound (zeo, postgresql, nfs).
they told me as well, that the clustering/failover works perfect with
roughly _zero_ downtime :)
the san behind it is really powerful and should be able to reach
2x80MB/s easily.

> My personal opinion is that they can buy SUN support such that
> within a few hours all problems will be fixed by SUN while for Linux
> they can not get this level of support -- and therefore they prefer
> SUN. But, that's just my assumption (I do not have a proof).

exactly - the cluster is f***ing expensive (RAM, SUN
certification,...) but has almost no downtime ("guaranteed").
we finally managed to get the sun-cluster to test the setup
(especially ZEO) and have the possibility to give it back and switch
to LINUX in case it doesn't work.
i'll keep you updated about our testing results.

thanks so far

jodok

--
"Although practicality beats purity."
   -- The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Jodok Batlogg, Lovely Systems
Schmelzhütterstraße 26a, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria
phone: +43 5572 908060, fax: +43 5572 908060-77