[Zope-dev] Re: How to publish Zope2 products on PyPI

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Sep 23 02:38:14 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote at 2007-9-22 12:21 +0100:
>>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>   We extend the Zope2 configuration with an option "additional-products"
>>   which lists the products used by the instance that are not
>>   at a standard place -- such as those installed by "setuptools"
>
>I really don't see the need for this kind of complication. I would never
>install a Products.* package into the global python interpreter. That's
>a recipe for pain and incompatibility. Instead, I'd use zc.buildout or
>virtualenv to have a sandbox for these eggs.

We definitely have different views on "complication".
In my view "buildout" or "virtualenv"
are much more complication than an additional option in "zope.conf".

"Five:registerPackage" may be used as equivalent to the
proposed new Zope configuration option "additional-products".
Personally, I find it more natural to have the declaration
in "zope.conf" -- for two reasons:

  *  other product controlling options are there already (the "products" key)

  *  no need to involve ZCML (which adds significant complexity)

But, maybe, the wrong way has already been taken -- and we want to stick
to it ;-)

--
Dieter