[Zope-dev] testing a meta-egg

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 4 09:08:27 EDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Adam GROSZER wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> Friday, April 4, 2008, 2:22:06 PM, you wrote:
>
> JF> IMO, testing the dependent eggs isn't desirable, however, I don't
> JF> object to providing an option to do it.
>
> How do you propose or in fact how do you do testing just before going
> into production?

For individual packages, I assume that they were tested before release.

I prefer to test just the software I'm working on.

Of course, I have integration tests of my application.

> Would you please give some hints how to dig that information out in he
> recipe?

I wouldn't want anyone doing this who wasn't willing to spend the time
becoming fairly familiar with the setuptools APIs.  The full set of
packages uses is described by the working set, which is available (or
obtainable) to the recipe.  To include tests of all dependencies, you
would include each of the locations from the working set as test
directories for the test t runner, being careful to avoid system
packages -- unless you want to test all system packages on which you
depend too.  Even then, you could get into trouble, as individual
package tests might not be runnable without additional facilities you
don't have. For example, some packages might have test dependencies
that you haven't included.  There is no standard way of specifying
test dependencies for installed distributions.

In general, I find implicitly including packages for testing is
fraught with peril.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton