[Zope-dev] Non-ASCII characters in URLs

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:51:00 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 04:37:22PM -0700, Alexander Limi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a good technical explanation for why Zope doesn't allow non-ASCII
> characters in URLs?

I suspect it's only for hysterical raisins.  The code in question is
in OFS/ObjectManager.py, in the checkValidId() function.  Non-ASCII
characters trigger a match on the bad_id regular expression search.
As I recall, if you look at the revision history, that code is very
old.

There might even be an existing bug filed about this; I don't
remember.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com