[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2 eggification [was: Merge philikon-aq branch into Zope trunk]

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Apr 21 12:48:17 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> I'd be slightly happier if everything "we" (Zope 2 folks, as opposed
>> to Zope 3 folks, ZODB folks, or other independent authors) maintain
>> shipped inside a single egg.
>>
>> In particular, I think this might be what to aim for in the very first
>> Zope 2 egg-based release, because we can always move stuff out in a
>> later release, but it's harder to reel something back in if we find
>> that moving it out has been a mistake.  The "one big egg" strategy
>> might also let us explain it a little more easier to old-hand Zope2
>> devs who aren't used to eggs: "everything that used to be in the
>> tarball except ZODB, Zope 3 libraries, and external libs is in the
>> zope2 egg".  Then in a subsequent Zope 2 egg release, we could say
>> "oh, now that you're used to eggs, we've moved DateTime out into a
>> separate egg", so on and so forth.
>
> Ok, fine by me.

Cool.

>> But I'll try not to get hung up on it if other really want to bust
>> things apart.  I guess in particular, I'm not keen on trying to
>> externalize ExtensionClass or Acquisition unless somebody else has a
>> strong desire to do this because they're using them outside Zope somehow.
>
> Which they're not :).

>>> What's wrong with just 'Zope2'?
>>
>> It would be nice to disambiguate the libraries needed to run Zope 2
>> from the wrapper stuff required to configure an instance.  The very
>> outmost "meta-egg" (or buildout, or whatever) should probably be named
>> Zope2.  This might or might not be it.  If this *is* that outermost
>> egg, "Zope2" sounds good to me.
>
> Well, taking your "everything that used to be in the tarball..."
> argument, then this would indeed be the outmost egg, incl. the instance
> scripts.

True, although the Zope2 instance-creation scripts will probably become
setuptools console scripts, which means that things will likely need to get
shuffled around a bit from how things are now regardless and old hands will be
baffled anyway.

repoze.zope2 needs the libraries, but doesn't need the stock Zope instance
creation scripts (repoze.zope2's may actually conflict name-wise with those from
"stock" Zope 2).  I'll see if I can figure out a way that repoze.zope2 can just
use stock zope2 instance-creation scripts so making a different meta-egg that
includes just instance creation stuff isn't as attractive.

>> A nit:  I might call the outermost egg "zope2" because I have a
>> preference for lowercase egg names and we also already have a
>> *package* named "Zope2", and it'd be nice to know where you are at the
>> bash prompt without needing to print the whole path.
>
> I have a slight preference for "Zope2" because that's what egg names
> usually look like. Also, if you told people Zope 2 was now available in
> egg form and asked them to guess what the egg was called, I think most
> would come up with "Zope2".

Alright.

I'm excited about this. ;-)

- C