[Zope-dev] paver: buildout is utterly doomed

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Apr 23 06:58:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:45:16PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >  > I think it is better not to associate Buildout with zope.org domain.
> >  > So, either we can create a new domain www.buildout.org
> >  > or if you all agree a subdomain of python.org : buildout.python.org
> >
> >  I don't think we need to hide ourselfs. We're really good at making ourselves
> >  look bad already. The new site is intended to be able to do this. We shouldn't
> >  have to duplicate that effort.
>
> Agreed, we shouldn't hide ourselves. I think *.python.org is a step
> too far. What I do think is that it's good to let projects that *do*
> stand on their own stand alone in their presentation as well. That's
> not about hiding ourselves, it's about giving the right impression to
> people.

True. Considering that the current zope.org effort hopefully won't die (when
are we going to go live? Is there something like a check list or road map?)

> I think we can do this with buildout.zope.org, but if people can find
> a good top-level domain name then I'd certainly not want to stop them,
> as long as the affiliation with the Zope project is clear. This is
> mostly Jim's creation, after all, though I think the community-created
> recipes are something we should definitely showcase. We have a *lot*
> of features available through those recipes.

Right. But this still sounds like those project should try to distance
themselves from Zope.  IMHO we should get the story right that stuff that
comes out of the Zope world can be known as such and used even somewhere else.

Moving to a different site is IMHO a workaround for us not having our general
message be clear and understood.

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany