[Zope-dev] new zope.org, sphinx, and documentation management

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Wed Apr 23 15:44:45 EDT 2008

Paul Carduner a écrit :
> ***** THE POINT OF THIS EMAIL IS BELOW *****
>
> I would like to develop a buildout recipe that generates aggregated
> documentation for a package (like z3c.form) using sphynx and publishes
> it to the new zope.org website.  I want updating of zope documentation
> on zope.org to be as easy as uploading a package to pypi:
>
> When you are ready to make a release of a package, you would then do:
>  $ cd z3c.form/tags/2.0/
>  $ python setup.py register sdist upload
>  $ ./bin/buildout
>  $ ./bin/update-documentation
>
> You would then be able to go to
> http://www.zope.org/projects/zope3/documentation/z3c.form and see
> everything from developer docs, to tutorials, to how-tos, etc.

Won't it be redundant with the doctests displayed on the PyPI?
You speak about things like z3c.form, i.e. individual packages. They already
have their doc (readme) displayed on the cheeseshop, which is the first place to
look for packages.  The problem is that many README.txt are more unittests than
high level docs. In my opinion many README.txt contents should be moved into
deeper functional doctests, and replaced by real introductions, or easy-to-read
howtos.

On zope.org, instead of individual egg docs, we need high level docs or
integration docs that cover several packages at once. In which eggs do you want
to put them?

Christophe