[Zope-dev] Zope 3.4 available as packages based on setuptools tarballs

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Wed Apr 23 16:56:59 EDT 2008

Marius Gedminas a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:48:45PM +0200, Christophe Combelles wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas a écrit :
>>> The KGS changes from time to time, doesn't it?
>> Normally this list should not change at all, and corresponds to the last
>> released 3.4 version, aka RC, or did I miss something?
>
> Only requests on IRC/mailing list to please update package zope.foo to
> version x.y.z+1 in the KGS, because of an important bugfix.  I assume
> changes like this will happen occasionally.
>
> I'm happy to call the KGS "the latest released 3.4" version, but in my
> mind that is different from "3.4.0".  I imagine there will be a 3.4.1
> that matches the state of the KGS at some future point in time?
>
>> http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions.cfg
>
> I see this more like using an SVN checkout of the 3.4 branch, as opposed
> to the 3.4.0 tag.  You get a stable version, but it may change over
> time.

That means that the minor version of zope has no meaning but for the tarball
version.

- The KGS version is always called "3.4" and always contains the latest
bugfixes. There is no 3.4.X
- The tarball version is released from time to time, when the number of upgraded
packages worth it. This one is called 3.4.X

That also means that :
- The 3.4 KGS is actually already released without having to release it!
- the current RC tarball can be released now as 3.4.0 with current eggs
- the bugfixes can be pushed to the KGS the day after

This would allow all the bugfixes to be available as soon as they are released,
and not to have to wait for 3.4.1.

Christophe