[Zope-dev] Re: zope.app.locales i18nmergeall.py not used anymore?

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Wed Apr 30 09:31:02 EDT 2008

On 2008-04-26 10:25:16 +0200, Christophe Combelles <ccomb at free.fr> said:

> Maurits van Rees a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> zope/app/locales/TRANSLATE.txt says:

>>   After that, you need to merge those changes to all existing
>>   translations.  You can do that by executing the ``i18nmergeall.py``
>>   script from the ``utilities`` directory of your Zope 3 checkout:
>>
>>     $ python utilities/i18nmergeall.py -l src/zope/app/locales
>>
>> So I tried that and found that in the 13 po files that are present,
>> over 80 thousand lines were changed (counting all lines in an svn
>> diff).  Since the files combined have about 100 thousand lines, this
>> could be called a fairly big change. :)
>>
>> So: is there a reason this merging is not regularly done anymore?  Or
>> can I just go ahead and submit those 80 thousand lines?
>
> It seems too big, that's weird.
> I think merging is not really done, and there are several changes to do
> f or i18n:
>
> - split the "zope" gettext domain into all the separate namespaces.
> Maybe  only zope.app.* packages can be kept under the "zope.app" domain.

I think each and every package should have its own domain. Should we
just start with that for 3.5 packages? Would this break anything?

> - find a way to generate the .pot and .mo files at build. They should
> not  be stored in the svn. We should only have the translated .po
> files, and the  merging and compiling should be done during build.
> Maybe the .pot file could be a lso stored but this is not really
> necessary.

Yeah, the .mo files don't need to be stored indeed. But that's not
really high priority I think.

> - add an automatic test in each package to check whether the .po files
> ha ve been merged by the developer. If a po file is not in sync with
> the code, the t est fails. This would allow all the .po files to be
> always up to date.

Actually I don't really use the merge script. I prefere using somethink
like poedit and its "update from pot file" feature. This also tells me
what I have to translate and what is gone.

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891