[Zope-dev] Why several versions in controlled-packages.cfg?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Aug 5 11:32:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 04:05:07PM +0200, Christophe Combelles wrote:
> I'm wondering why there are several versions of packages in
> controlled-packages.cfg? Isn't the KGS supposed to point to a fixed set of
> unique versions ?

I asked srichter on IRC about this, and my understanding is that

  * versions.cfg that is produced from controlled-packages.cfg will
    contain only the latest versions.
  * the PyPI mirror at download.zope.org will have all of the versions
    available
  * people who have an older version of versions.cfg will still be able
    to get the packages mentioned there from download.zope.org

Since versions.cfg is usually referred with a URL, it seems to me this
only matters if you update controlled-versions.cfg in the middle of
someone's buildout run?

Ok, now I'm confused.  If I refer to versions.cfg, won't buildout
download the actual eggs directly from PyPI, rather than looking in
download.zope.org?

Marius Gedminas
--
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms