[Zope-dev] is this how we fix test breakage in tests? :-S

Benji York benji at zope.com
Mon Aug 18 17:06:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Benji,
>
> Was a bit shocked to see your name against the rather disappointing
> commenting out of a doctest in doctest.py (lines 2214-2218).

Commenting out that test was an accident of a merge.

But, that doesn't really matter much, because test in question has never
run, and can never have passed (since the time when zope.testing's
doctest was forked from Python).  It expects to call functions in the
current module (which is zope.testing.doctest) to mutate module globals
and see the results in the globals of the module imported by "import
doctest" (which will be the doctest from the standard library).

I suggest deleting the test in question.  It doesn't really test
anything worth testing as far as I can tell.  Then we should make
bin/test run the tests in doctest.py.

Ultimately we'd really like to defork doctest, but that's a non-trivial
task.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer