[Zope-dev] [zopeproject] ZODB3 specified, but ZODB3 3.9.0-dev-r77011 egg still attempted?!

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Aug 19 06:05:48 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Okay,
>
> So I bumped into the ZODB3 3.9.0-dev-r77011 problem while trying to get
> going with zopeproject.
>
> zopeproject created a buildout.cfg in my test project, so I thought I'd
> lock ZODB to 3.8.0 to prevent problems:
>
> [buildout]
> develop = .
> parts = app test
> find-links = http://download.zope.org/distribution/
> newest = false
> eggs-directory = C:\Zope\buildout-eggs
>
> [app]
> recipe = zc.recipe.egg
> eggs = HelloWorld
>         zope.app.apidoc
>         zope.app.securitypolicy
>         z3c.evalexception>=2.0
>         Paste
>         PasteScript
>         PasteDeploy
> interpreter = python
>
> [versions]
> ZODB3 = 3.8.0
>
> [test]
> recipe = zc.recipe.testrunner
> eggs = HelloWorld
> defaults = ['--tests-pattern', '^f?tests$', '-v']
>
> This didn't work, buildout still tries to install 3.9.0-dev-r77011. Why?!

Because you're not doing it right. You invented a [versions] section but
you still need to tell buildout to actually use that section as a
versions declarations:

[buildout]
versions = versions

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#repeatable-buildouts-controlling-eggs-used

> I also noticed that buildout from this .cfg doesn't seem to use the
> latest versions of things. It's only using version 1.0.7 of zc.buildout,
> not the 1.1.0 I'd expect.

Because it's running in non-newest mode (newest = false in [buildout]).
bin/buildout -n will override that setting from the command line and run
it in newest mode.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#newest-and-offline-modes

> Now, my understanding is that find-links adds
> to the index rather than replaces it, so what's going on here?

This has nothing to do with it.