[Zope-dev] zope.app.form: Make "no value" always available?

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Thu Aug 21 08:45:11 EDT 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Thomas Lotze wrote:
>> Oh well, it turns out that this doesn't really work well as the class in
>> question is used as a base class by all the items edit widgets. The
>> next-best approach we'd try would be a module-global flag that turns the
>> old behaviour back on and must be set during application start-up for
>> BBB. Would that be an acceptable solution?
>
> +0 if you release it with a new "major" release number (i.e., 3.6.0), and
> document clearly how to get the BBB behavior.  If you need to release with
> a new "minor" number (i.e., 3.5.1), then the BBB behavior must be the
> default.

I've done that. Dropdown widgets now display a "no value" item instead of
selecting the first option, while select widgets and radio button groups
don't need this since they can just leave everything unselected.

Also, I've changed SourceSelectWidget so that it doesn't turn its
`required` attribute off except in BBB mode. This is no longer useful for
SourceDropdownWidgets and seems to have been a bug anyway for
SourceSelectWidgets and SourceRadioWidgets.

I'll release zope.app.form 3.6.0 tomorrow if nobody objects. If someone
gives me access to the package on PyPI (username: tlotze), I can also
upload it there.

--
Thomas