[Zope-dev] Make simple ISource usable

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sat Aug 30 09:20:15 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 15:01 +0200, Roger Ineichen wrote:
> [...]
>
> The only query API defined for ISource in zope.schema
> is the ISourceQueriables API. That's defently to less
> and makes it required to implement custom query APIs
> in UI frameworks if we need to work with terms.
>
> I no one objects, I'll start a zope.schema branch and
> let you know about the progress and a hopfully a simple
> solution. Additional to them I started allready a
> z3c.form branch for adjust the ITerms implementation.
> As far as I can see right now this refactoring will only
> provides additional features.
>
> What do you think? Any objections or hints about that?

Terms require access to a request. Any application's model code should
be happy to only deal with the values of sources.

Terms are used to map values to the UI parts of an application (by
providing identification tokens and user readable titles).

IMHO zope.schema doesn't need to know about terms.

I do agree that the whole issue of searching/querying sources is
currently underdesigned.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com