[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.testbrowser/trunk/ - Switched to Zope 3.4 KGS.

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Dec 9 09:56:52 EST 2008

Gary Poster wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Benji York wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Stripping all versions from the dependencies in setup.py only works
>>> if
>>> users are willing to run their own package indexes, and figure out
>>> edge
>>> cases such as the ones you describe by themselves:
>> The above claim appears false.  Every project (both the open and
>> closed)
>> I work on has virtually no versions in setup.py and we don't use a
>> private package index.  We use a version section in the buildout.

buildout is a "ghetto", then.  not all the potential users of your
package know or care about buildout:  they want to be able to use the
package in some other setup, e.g., via easy_install.  Providing properly
documented dependencies makes that possible.

> The "virtually" is the catch here.  They do have some.
>
> They are typically introduced when an older version of a dependency
> *does not work with the software*.  To me, "does not work" == "breaks
> tests".  Because our community, and others, try for backwards
> compatibility, this kind of assertion happens relatively rarely.
>
> These setup.py assertions are always, or almost always, not "pinning"
> but saying "I work with X or better."  I'm advocating these sorts of
> "X or better" assertions.
>
> Christian's zope.testbrowser change fits these characteristics.  Do
> you, or Stephan, or anyone else with your opinions, have some other
> additional line that must be crossed, or do you assert that setup.py
> should never have any version numbers?
>
> For instance, if you have a project that requires a newer API in, say,
> zope.component, do you assert that it is inappropriate to specify a
> zope.component of "X or better" in your setup.py for that project?

Exactly:  I'm not arguing for "pinned" versions for anything other than
a "this release exaclty" meta egg (not on the table here).

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com