[Zope-dev] BOUNTY! was: Next Step to Bug Resolution???

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:00:42 EST 2008

Based on private responses I have received I would like to clarify some
things.

I fully realize that people have their days jobs.  So do I.  I do not
get paid to work on this project.

Secondly, I am a ZCA user.  I am a Python tinkerer, not a programmer.
It seems to me that it would take me days to contrive a mockup of this
situation so that there is a live demonstration of this error outside of
my project.

I believe that it would take an experienced Python/Zope developer no ore
than 1-2 hours to install my application, see the problem and provide a
fix.

There is an explanation of how to exercise the problem as well as how to
apply my suggested fix here:
http://www.openehr.org/mailarchives/ref_impl_python/msg00406.html

The pertinent part is the last 4 paragraphs and it is copied below for
convenience.

I will later commit an update that fixes two errors he found.  I will
also include a new zope.schema._filed.py file that correctly processes
the multi-level Object field calls that we make.  I have no idea when
the Zope gurus will be updating zope.schema  But I know this fix works
for our needs.  It will be in the docs directory and named as
_field.py.oship

To see the problem that exists in the current _filed.py you can start
your server and verify that you can go to
http://localhost:8080/oship/archetypedetails and verify that you can see
the archetype details.  In your terminal window you should see that
there are no errors reported.

Stop your server and go to
oship/km/openehr/ehr/cluster/checklist_item_general.py and around line
#75 and uncomment the self.parentArchetype assignment.  Now start your
server and go to the link above.  You will get a server error and in
your terminal window you'll see that you have a WrongContainedType
error.

Stop your server.  Replace _field.py in you zope.schema egg directory
(rename your original first) with the _field.py.oship Restart your
server and you will see that it now correctly  processes the multi-level
Object fields.  If you want more details about this then please see the
bug report I filed on Launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/301226

This issue is such a huge frustration for me that I am offering a bounty
of 100USD out of my personal pocket to the first person that solves the
issue, gets it committed to a published zope.schema egg and included in
the standard Grok distribution.

It seems to me to be a reasonable (though not extravagant) amount since
most of the trouble shooting has already been done.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services