[Zope-dev] Zope3 server control machinery is untested

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:59:16 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> This only applies to Zope3 developers and people using the Zope 3 ZMI.
>
>  I'm trying to get rid of ThreadedAsync.  zope.app.server uses it to
>  cause the asyncore main loop to stop as part of the server-control
>  functionality.
>
>  There are no tests for this afaict. Trying this throigh the web,
>  shutdown seems to work, but not restart.  (It looks like restart
>  doesn't work because the exit status os only used to exit the loop. It
>  isn't used in the call to sys.exit.)
>
>  I propose, at least, to remove this untested functionality from
>  zope.app.server.
>
>  I'd be for removing it from zope.app.twisted, if it is there, and for
>  removing the UI from zope.app.applicationcontrol.
>
>  Thoughts?

Does this mean you remove the possibility to shutdown or restart a
Zope3 server from the ZMI?
That is a quite practical thing to be able to do, especially when you
don't know with what user the server has been started with so you
can't stop or restart it from the command line...

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64