AW: [Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Feb 23 09:14:09 EST 2008

Hi Jim

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict
>

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Christophe Combelles wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that the 'versions' information in a buildout has
> a priority
> > over 'develop'?
>
> Yup
>
> > What I wanted is to use the exact versions of the KGS:
> > extends = http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions.cfg
> > versions = versions
> >
> > Then for a particular egg (say, z3c.menu), use a
> develop-egg instead:
> > develop = . z3c.menu
> >
> > However the develop-egg is never used, because of the version
> > information.
> >
> > Shouldn't the 'develop' directive have a priority?
>
> Martijn Faassen thinks so:
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/zc.buildout/+bug/164043
>
> Despite my response to him, I'm not entirely sure.  I'm
> curious what other people think,
>
> > Or is there another way to to what I want?

The develop folder is the folder for development eggs. If versions
forces to use other eggs, then it doesn't make sense to me.

In general I trust on what you are doing, but I'm not always
sure what the real motivation is behind the concept ;-)
Probably there is a reason which I don't know about.

What do you mean by:

"develop eggs are also used for many system package installs :("

> As you found out, you can simply override the version in your
> buildout/

Only for development, it doesn't make sense this duplicated
definition. It sound like a additionl seatbelt. For what is this
double definition good for? Or is this based on some implementation
details?

Regards
Roger Ineichen