[Zope-dev] Re: buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Feb 25 17:18:45 EST 2008

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 23 February 2008, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> The additional version specification should be merged into the
>>> extends version
>>> section. The version "1.3.1dev" is the version the develop egg
>>> specifies.
>> Yes. That's how it works now.
>
> Cool, then I think the behavior is correct. I think it is merely a matter of
> communicating that things work this way.

You can even leave it empty and it will work:

[versions]
foo =

I don't think it's cool though. I don't believe it's okay to have to
repeat yourself, if only that requirement is communicated well.

There's a duplication of the package name in the setup.py. I don't like
such duplications. I'd be happy if there were a 'really_develop' option
that did what I want without repeating myself. Other people can use
'develop' and repeat themselves if they feel it's more clear.

Meanwhile, you're satisfied already with actually looking at setup.py of
the develop package and then repeating the version number *too*. It's
fascinating how people look differently at these things, isn't it?

Regards,

Martijn