[Zope-dev] Re: buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Feb 26 08:56:24 EST 2008

Hi,

Martijn Faassen schrieb:
> Christian Theune wrote:
>> Martijn Faassen schrieb:
> [snip]
>>> I think the explicit versus implicit discussion has no place here.
>>> Placing a package on the 'develop' line is a very explicit action,
>>> and you place it on that line because you want to *develop on it*.
>>> Having another package being picked up is surprising.
>>
>> OTOH it makes you aware about potential version mismatches very early,
>> because you try to develop on a package that doesn't seem to be
>> supported by that particular buildout. So maybe you, for example
>> actually wanted/should increase the version number.
>
> I don't understand what you're getting at. A development package will
> *never* be supported by a package listing in a particular buildout, as
> it should always have a 'dev' marker in its version number in setup.py.
> If it's listed in any list of fixed versions, it's always going to be
> wrong.
>
> And yes, when you release a package you've been developing you do need
> to update the versions listing of the buildout that depends on it. It's
> clear enough from what's listed in 'develop' what you need to be updating.
>
> Did really nobody run into this surprise before? I am really surprised
> at that. I mean, you were working with a buildout with a fixed version
> list, added a package to 'develop' and then (after some head-scratching)
> noticed your changes weren't being picked up at all, and then you
> *weren't* surprised about it and wondering what to do about it?

Nope. I'm not always working against a fixed version list. E.g. when I
developt z3c.zalchemy then this is a library package, not an
application, so I don't fix the versions but let anything that satisfies
the the requirements in setup.py come in.

In this situation I might use a checkout of SQLAlchemy that doesn't
match the version requirement so it doesn't get picked. (I.e. there are
two branches of zalchemy, one for SA 0.3 and one for 0.4)

I don't want to start developing on the 0.3 branch using SA 0.4
accidentally.

buildout can be and is used in a much broader way than just applications
that provide fixed versions.

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany