[Zope-dev] Re: buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Aaron Lehmann aaron at zope.com
Tue Feb 26 11:19:20 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>>>
>>> The two easiest choices are 1) issue a clear warning in stderr, or
>>> 2) rename 'develop' to something else.
>> So, the people that understand either get spammed with warning
>> messages every build, or have to change all their builds in order
>> to accommodate your thinking?  We all know what the solution is, it
>> was supplied at the beginning of the thread:
>> [versions]
>> mynewpin = somenewversion_dev
>
> It's longer and shorter:
>
> * longer: create a 'versions' section if it isn't there yet, and
> point to it from [buildout] with 'versions'. (the versions section
> may not be there yet if this buildout.cfg extends another one with
> such a section)

If you're extending a buildout with a versions section, you already
have one.  That's what extending the buildout did for you.

> * shorter:
>
> [versions]
> mynewpin =

This will burn you if your develop egg is not the highest available
version (for example, you are working on a bugfix for an en egg that
is not bleeding edge).  Also, some folks require everything be pinned.

> So, we're looking at a way to increase the usability of a common
> task: hack on a package without having to understand its place in a
> potentially very complicated dependency structure.

If you are hacking on an egg, you should know what the current version
is, and how your version is different.  If you don't, your confusion
is deserved.

Aaron Lehmann