[Zope-dev] KeyError in ZRDB.DA cache handling

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at rice.edu
Fri Jan 4 16:23:51 EST 2008

On our fairly busy site (http://cnx.org) we're seeing in the logs some
instances of an error in Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA::

   Module None, line 97, in search_form_handler
     - <FSPythonScript at /plone/search_form_handler used for
/plone/content>
     - Line 97
    Module Products.RhaptosRepository.Repository, line 537, in
searchRepository
    Module Products.RhaptosRepository.VersionFolder, line 456, in search
    Module Products.RhaptosModuleStorage.ZSQLFile, line 44, in __call__
    Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA, line 492, in __call__
     - <ExtZSQLMethod at /plone/portal_moduledb/20071212233625.240206723892>
    Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA, line 393, in _cached_result
  KeyError: ("\nSELECT p.*\nFROM persons p\nwhere\n p.firstname ~*
req('href='::text)\n or\n p.surname ~* req('href='::text)\n or\n
p.fullname ~* req('href='::text)\n or \n p.personid ~*
('^'||req('href='::text)||'$')\n or\n p.email ~*
(req('href='::text)||'.*@')\n\n", 0, 'devrep')

This is trying to remove a key from the ZSQL cache to shrink it down to
size, but doesn't find the key. From Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA._cached_result:

         # if the cache is too big, we purge entries from it
         if len(cache) >= max_cache:
             keys=tcache.keys()
             # We also hoover out any stale entries, as we're
             # already doing cache minimisation.
             # 'keys' is ordered, so we purge the oldest results
             # until the cache is small enough and there are no
             # stale entries in it
             while keys and (len(keys) >= max_cache or keys[0] < t):
                 key=keys[0]
                 q=tcache[key]
                 del tcache[key]
                 del cache[q]           # <===== line 393, with the error
                 del keys[0]

It looks a lot like:
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/143805
but we have that fix in our Zope 2.9.8:
   http://osdir.com/ml/web.zope.all-cvs/2006-11/msg00150.html

Perhaps it is another high-load leak? I don't think it can be multiple
threads doing cleanup at the same time, unless maybe there's a
transaction commit in there somewhere I don't know about.

Or maybe I'm running into the problem described in the big comment at
the end?::

    # When a ZSQL method is handled by one ZPublisher thread twice in
    # less time than it takes for time.time() to return a different
    # value, the SQL generated is different, then this code will leak
    # an entry in 'cache' for each time the ZSQL method generates
    # different SQL until time.time() returns a different value.
    #
    # On Linux, you would need an extremely fast machine under extremely
    # high load, making this extremely unlikely. On Windows, this is a
    # little more likely, but still unlikely to be a problem.
    #
    # If it does become a problem, the values of the tcache mapping
    # need to be turned into sets of cache keys rather than a single
    # cache key.

Would it be unsafe to toss a try/except around the del cache[q] bit on
the theory that it's already deleted, so, hey, why fail? It'd be really
nice to keep this off of users, even with it if does cause a bit of a leak.

I'll probably be setting up some logging to try and characterize this
further, but anybody have any clues?

        --jcc

--
Connexions