[Zope-dev] zope2 webdav memory usage...

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Jan 13 11:50:58 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2008, at 7:49 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote at 2008-1-11 18:20 -0500:
>>> BTW, in situations in which you don't know which objects to
>>> deactivate, an alternative is to call cacheGC on the connection
>>> frequently.  This is fairly inexpensive and incremental.
>>
>> But, it can kill volatile variables as well -- which may
>> lead to trouble, until we have implemented something like
>> "Garanteed lifetime for volatile variables".

I've got no problem with the current behavior of volatiles, I
understand how they work.  But personally I've not been able to
successfully write walk code against very large databases that doesn't
consume RAM without bound using only cacheGC.  If I write the same
type of code using _p_deactivate against each object I walk, I can
keep memory under some sort of control.

- C