[Zope-dev] A z3c.jbot without a monkey

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:51:24 EST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Malthe Borch wrote:
> In the current implementation, z3c.jbot monkeys its way into
> zope.pagetemplate to easily allow overriding the template source file.

Whacky.

> certainly desirable). At any rate, this could be fixed at the level of
> the page template implementation.

Is this really a page template problem?  It doesn't seem so.

Why not make the separation cleaner?  One pattern that we see hinted
at in zope.formlib is that views (UI for the logic) reference
templates that are registered elsewhere by name.  The implementation
there suffers in that the templates themselves aren't (so can't be
selected based on the skin/layers), but if they're made to be named
views of the (logic) view, all the flexibility you describe can be had.

   -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at gmail.com>