[Zope-dev] Re: View component registration

David Glick davidglick at onenw.org
Wed Jun 18 16:52:40 EDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Malthe Borch wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> There's one major problem that I see. What's the backwards
>> compatibility story? I'm sure there are a lot of cases in lots of
>> code where people look up views with a getMultiAdapter, and if we
>> started registering views differently, wouldn't that code break?
>> How to we get from A to B?
>
> It deserves consideration, but I don't think code will be prone to
> break since we're merely providing more information to lookup a view
> component, not less.

Exactly.  The interface passed to getMultiAdapter or queryMultiAdapter
is a minimum requirement.  Making views provide IView won't stop them
from providing Interface, which is the default.

On a somewhat related matter, it would be great if the browser:page
ZCML directive could be augmented to have a provides= attribute, so
that even more specific categories of views can be marked.  E.g. for
Malthe's Collage add-on for Plone, which does page compositing, we
want to look up a named view on an object, but only if the view
provides ICollageView.

David Glick
Project Associate
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the
environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidglick at onenw.org
(206) 286-1235 x32

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup