[Zope-dev] Re: buildout on Windows

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Jun 20 15:38:35 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm trying to run a plone-ish buildout on Windows for a customer,
> currently getting this:
>
> creating zope.proxy
> copying zope/proxy\proxy.h -> zope.proxy
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
> binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
> installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
> While:
>   Installing zope2.
>
> Do binary eggs exist for zope.proxy and friends?

This isn't a matter of a binary zope.proxy egg. If you look at the
'zope2' part of your buildout.cfg, you'll see it's actually trying to
compile Zope 2 itself (which happens to contain the zope.proxy package
as part of the Zope 3 libraries that it ships with).

What you want to do on Windows is install Zope 2 manually using the
installers, then edit buildout.cfg to NOT build Zope 2, but to refer to
the installation location, e.g.:

   [zope2]
   location = C:\Path\to\my\zope2
   # nothing else here, also remove 'zope2' from buildout:parts

   [instance]
   # stays the same:
   zope2-location = ${zope2:location}