[Zope-dev] Re: buildout on Windows

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Jun 22 12:28:33 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm trying to run a plone-ish buildout on Windows for a customer,
>> currently getting this:
>>
>> creating zope.proxy
>> copying zope/proxy\proxy.h -> zope.proxy
>> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
>> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
>> binaries.
>> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
>> installed,
>> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
>> While:
>>    Installing zope2.
>>
>> Do binary eggs exist for zope.proxy and friends?
>> If not, how do I build 'em and upload them for others to use?
>>
>> If they do exist, how do I get buildout to use them rather than trying
>> to build from source on my system?
>
> buildout will use binary eggs if they exist and match the version spec,
> so you may want a [version] block. However:
>
>  - if you really are installing zope2, then I wonder why it's trying to
> download zope.proxy.

It's not, it's just compiling Zope 2 which contains zope.proxy. From my
initial reply to Chris:

   This isn't a matter of a binary zope.proxy egg. If you look at the
   'zope2' part of your buildout.cfg, you'll see it's actually trying to
   compile Zope 2 itself (which happens to contain the zope.proxy package
   as part of the Zope 3 libraries that it ships with).