[Zope-dev] Re: zope.interface compatibility question

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Sat Mar 22 09:54:28 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:00:00AM +0100, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Andreas Jung schrieb:
>> The best thing is: try it out! Since your application has unittests, it
>> should be easy to verify the functionality against a new version :-)
>
> The problem is more complicated unfortunately: I want to use z3c.rml which
> needs zope.schema, zope.interface and other packages. Fedora currently
> ships the old zope.interface (3.0) which seems to be too old for
> zope.schema 3.4.
>
> I built RPM packages for myself but thought about submitting these to
> Fedora. Therefore I have an undefined set of applications possible using
> zope.interface 3.0 (and relying on this version). Even if my custom
> application has a very good unit test coverage, this does not help the
> Fedora Project.
>
> On the other hand if there was a commitment to a stable (downwards
> compatible) API in 3.x, I think it would be much easier to get my RPMs into
> Fedora.

AFAIK there is a commitment to backwards-compatible APIs in the 3.x
series, with a time limit: APIs deprecated in version 3.x may be
removed in version 3.(x+2).

On the other hand, bugs happen, and sometimes people mistake internal
implementation details for APIs.  There's no substitute for actual
testing.

The safe way is to use a sandbox full of Zope 3 packages known to work
together.  There are multiple ways of getting one: svn checkout, tarball
install, virtualenv, zc.buildout.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                                -- Bill Gates, 1981