[Zope-dev] Re: Packaging Zope for Fedora

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Mar 23 23:34:22 EDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:59 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:
> but also includes a bunch of other packages.  The OP might find the
> following source distributions instructive:
>
> - http://dist.repoze.org/zopelib-2.10.5.0.tar.gz contains the Zope2
>   packages plus the relevant Zope3 code, drawn from Zope 3.3.2.  It
>   also includes most of the "foreign" packages the OP identified,
>   except those in the ZODB egg.

Actually this distro *also* includes the ZODB packages.  I wasn't able
to excise them.

> - http://dist.repoze.org/ZODB3-3.7.2.tar.gz contains the ZODB
> packages,
>   including transaction and ThreadedAsync.  This is the version that
>   the zopelib distribution depends on.

zopelib doesn't depend on this package, but repoze.zope2 does (just to
get the most recent ZODB release; the installation ordering ensures
that this one is installed last, and so is hopefully found first).

>> The voice of idealism says that yes, every little Zope package
>> ought to
>> be packaged in each popular distro, and these should work together
>> nicely, and be bug-free and fully supported.  It will take a lot of
>> time
>> and work to reach that state, and I'm afraid most of the Zopers are
>> too
>> busy building production applications to be much help with this.
>
> Yup, exactly.

+1 on fewer packages, particularly for Zope2, which is a lovable
twisted mess of subtle interdependencies between packages that mostly
have no lives on their own anyway.

- C